Log in Subscribe

Community Holiday Pet Safety Tips


Many pets love the holidays, from the extra attention of visiting family and friends to the mischief of unwrapping presents under the tree. But the season also brings danger from tipping trees to an abundance of potentially fatal items like chocolate and holly. The folks at the Bayside Pet Resort provided TBT with some tips on keeping your furry little guys safe this Christmas season.


  • If you have “kitty climbers” or dogs that enjoy tree climbing, securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn't tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet.
  • If possible, keep your tree skirt tied at the tree to cover the water tray, which may contain fertilizers, bacteria that can cause stomach upset.
  • Tinsel- Kittieshave a hard time resisting this sparkling treat.  It’s easy to steal, play with and unfortunately, ingest. This can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It's best to find an alternative if you have a tinsel-loving kitty in the house.  Ribbon, yarn and other small parts are can also be a hazard to cats who love finding their toys on your tree. Kitty safe balls, catnip and other kitty safe toys are a great gift to your frisky felines and will hopefully keep them out of trouble.
  • Most of you already know not to feed your pets chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol, but dogs will always be on the lookout for goodies.  Many pets end up at their veterinarians with vomiting, diarrhea and even Pancreatitis due to fatty treats such as turkey, bones and other foods from the table.  Keep it simple and treat them with pet safe treats.
  • Stuffing your pet’s stocking?Make sure to find toys that are best for your pets’ chewing styles. A Chihuahua may be very happy with a small stuffed toy, but your Labrador may have it chewed and ingested within minutes.  So make sure their toys are as “tough” as they are!
  • Many of our favorite holiday plants such as Poinsettia, Holly & Mistletoe, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. If your pet tends to enjoy chewing on your house plants, you may want to opt for artificial holiday plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
  • Don't leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out!
  • Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws' reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet's mouth and feet.
  • If you’re planning a holiday party and have a shy pet in your home, give them a safe, quiet place to stay away from the crowds.  Even the most social pet can become overwhelmed with a big noisy crowd.


Have a safe and Happy Holiday!


The Bayside Pet Resort & Spa is aluxury pet resort offering affordable five-star amenities to canine and feline guests withstate-of-the-art accommodations, supervised doggie daycare and a wide array of grooming services.  Pet suites start at $24/night. The staff provides opportunities for recreation and socialization, and pets are pampered in beautiful one and two bedroom suites, some with plasma TV screens and web cams for owners to keep an eye on their pets from a distance, on their computer or smart phone.


No comments on this item

Only paid subscribers can comment
Please log in to comment by clicking here.