BRADENTON – At Tuesday's meeting, the Manatee School Board voted to approve a move to partially terminate an investment agreement with British banking firm Barclays. The board also approved notice of public hearings for a revision to the school district's bullying and harassment policy, as well as a list of policies concerning concussions endured while playing school sports.
CALL TO ORDER (5:45 p.m.)
5. Approval of the Orders of the Day (Passed unanimously)
AGENDA AMENDMENTS (Info Only) (5:48 p.m.)
CHAIR OPENING REMARKS (5:50 p.m.)
SUPERINTENDENT OPENING REMARKS (5:55 p.m.)
REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS (6:00 p.m. )
11. Internal Audit UpdateAttachment: 040114 Internal Audit Progress Report.pdf
12. Instructional Services Update
13. Operations UpdateAttachment: Human Resources.pdf
PUBLIC COMMENTS (6:25 p.m.)
14. Public Comments
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (6:37 p.m.)
15. Approval of Minutes (Passed unanimously)Attachment: M021114.pdf
CONSENT ITEMS (6:39 p.m.)
Approval of Consent Agenda (Passed unanimously; item 26 severed for discussion)
Purchase(s) Bids $100,000.00 and Under
Purchase(s) Bids Over $100,000.00
Contracts and Grants
19. Approval of the Renewal Agreement Between the School Board of Manatee County and Publix Super Markets, Inc. for On-The-Job Training for Exceptional Student Education Students for the School Year 2014-2015Attachment: Publix Super Markets.pdf20. Approval to Apply, Accept and Expend the Florida Department of Education Entitlement Funds for Assessment and Evaluation for the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (P.E.R.T.) in the Amount of $11,073.11 through June 2014Attachment: PERT Grant 2014.pdf
22. Approval of Request to Declare Surplus and Donate Computers to Shining Light Church, Removing $24,141.90 from Inventory RecordsAttachment: Asset List Computer Donation to Shining Light 4-08-14.pdf
Attachment: Request Letter Shining Light.pdf23. Approval of the Execution of Response Form and Partial Termination of the Forward Delivery AgreementAttachment: QSCB and FDA Overview 4.8.14 2 2.pdf
Attachment: EMIR Response Form English 2.pdf
Attachment: Muni EMIR Outreach Letter v5.pdf
25. Approval to Apply for and Expend the Public Charter School Grant Program Planning, Design, and Implementation (2014-2019) for Rowlett Academy of Arts and Communication, Inc.Attachment: Rowlett CSP Completed.pdf26. Approval of the Elementary, Middle and High School Level Staffing Plan for the 2014-2015 School Year(Removed from consent agenda to allow discussion; became item no. 27; passed unanimously)
27. Leaves for April 8, 2014 Board MeetingAttachment: Leaves 04-08-14.pdf
NEW BUSINESS (Discussion Items Pulled from Consent)
NEW BUSINESS (Non-Consent Items) (6:40 p.m.)
28. Approval for Shinn and Company to Provide Professional Services on Validation of Correction Action Plans of Internal Accounts Funds - Project 3, Not to Exceed $8,000Attachment: Shinn and Company Additional Professional Services for the School Board of Manatee County - 020614.pdf (Passed unanimously)
Attachment: Project 3.pdf
29. Approval for Shinn and Company to Provide Professional Services on Validation of Action Plans Completion - Project 1, Estimated Fees of $35,000 (After concerns raised by Gause and Harvey, Superintendent Mills recommended the item be tabled. Harvey made a motion to table the item as well as item 30. Approval of the tabling passed 3-2, with David Miner and Julie Aranibar dissenting)
30. Approval for Professional Services with Shinn and Company to Provide Internal Audit Services for the Remainder of Fiscal Year 14, Not to Exceed $17,500
31. Approval of Advertising a Notice of Proposed Amendment to Policy 6.12, Employee Contracts, Probation, and Requirements for Continued Employment, and Setting a Public Hearing on the Proposed New Rule at the Board Meeting Scheduled May 13, 2014 (Passed 4-1, with Miner dissenting)Attachment: 6.12 Rev 03-17-14.pdf
32. Approval of Advertising a Notice of Proposed New Policy 3.14, Procedural Guidelines Regarding Service Animals, and Setting a Public Hearing on the Proposed New Rule at the Board Meeting Scheduled May 13, 2014 (Passed 4-1, with Miner dissenting)Attachment: 3.14, Service Animals, 030614.pdf
33. Approval of Advertising a Notice of Proposed Amendment to Policy 5.15, Bullying and Harassment, and Setting a Public Hearing on the Proposed Amendment at the Board Meeting Scheduled May 13, 2014 (Passed 4-1, with Miner dissenting - Miner explained that he agreed with the policy revision, but thought that it should be discussed during the next school year)
Collaboration: Staff Attorney
34. Approval of Advertising a Notice of Proposed New Policy 5.18, Athletics: Management of Sports-Related Concussion and Head Injuries, and Setting a Public Hearing on the Proposed New Policy at the Board Meeting Scheduled May 13, 2014 (Passed 4-1, with Miner dissenting for same reason as dissent for item 33)
SCHOOL BOARD WORKSHOP ITEMS (7:20 p.m.)
Karen Carpenter said the school board needs to expand evaluations of staff by doing a process evaluation during the Summer. She said the board "needs to consciously evaluate" auditors Shinn & Co. and the board's legal department services.
BOARD COMMENTS (7:22 p.m.)
36. Board Comments
Barbara Harvey thanked Superintendent Mills and Deputy Superintendent Diana Greene for working on programs to address scholarships for students.
Bob Gause brought up that FCAT 2.0 is coming out, and that parents and students should be prepared for it.
Karen Carpenter thanked the volunteers that help out in the community.
ADJOURNMENT (7:47 p.m.)
Adjournment of Meeting
No comments on this item
Only paid subscribers can comment
Please log in to comment by clicking here.