PALMETTO -- At Monday's City of Palmetto Commission meeting, commissioners unanimously passed a resolution to urge the state legislature to adopt statewide regulations that restrict the sales and marketing of candy flavored tobacco products. In other business, the commission approved amending the zoning code ordinance, allowing the revised downtown core design guidelines to go forward.
PROCLAMATION: National Arbor Day
April 26, 2013
Accepting: Eric Gilbert, Chair, Planning and Zoning Board
62nd Annual Observance of National Day of Prayer
May 2, 2013
Accepting: Joel Mimbs, Manatee Religion Services
PRESENTATION: Waste Watch Presentation by Rose Quin-Bare
Swearing-in of all persons intending to address City Commission.
Non-agenda Item Public Comment: Comments shall be limited to two minutes. Commission does not generally take action on any matter raised during these public comments, but may direct the matter to be placed on the agenda of a future meeting, if appropriate.
1. CITY COMMISSION AGENDA APPROVAL
Action Request: Motion to approve the April 15, 2013 Agenda. -- Approved, Unanimous
2. CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL -- Item # A/4/c pulled for a vote.
A. City Clerk’s Office
1. Minutes: April 1, 2013
2. Resolution 2013-10 Budget Amendment Ward 1, Phase 2
3. Resolution 2013-14 Budget Amendment for Installation of COBAN Units
4. Special Function Permits
a. Jerry Hill Memorial Fishing Tournament 5/11/2013
b. Cinco De Mayo 5/4/2013
c. Slicks Garage First Fridays 5/3/2013, 6/7/2013, 7/5/2013 pulled -- Motion to approve 10th street closure at 5:30 for event on May 3rd, only. The 6/7/13 and 7/5/13 dates will close 5th St. only. -- Approved, 3 to 2, Williams and Varnadore dissent.
B. Public Works
1. Cintas Fire Protection Service Agreement
2. FDOT Highway Lighting and Sign Agreement
Action Request: Motion to approve the April 15, 2013 Consent Agenda. -- Approved, Unanimous
3. CANDY FLAVORED TOBACCO RESOLUTION 2013-11 (J. Freeman)
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, URGING THE FLORIDA LEGISLATURE TO ADOPT STATEWIDE RULES AND REGULATIONS CONTROLLING THE SALE AND MARKETING OF CANDY FLAVORED TOBACCO PRODUCTS; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Lindsay Wheelen and Alexander Finken presented a presentation for -- SWAT (Students Working Against Tobacco).
Both demonstrated how much the tobacco products mimicked the appearance of candy for children.
Action Request: Motion to adopt Resolution 2013-11. -- Approved, Unanimous
4. 2nd.PUBLIC HEARING ORDINANCE 2013-05 DOWNTOWN CORE DESIGN (M. Barnebey)
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COMMISSION FOR THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, AMENDING CODE OF ORDINANCES, ZONING CODE, TO PROVIDE FOR REVISIONS TO THE ADMINISTRATIVE INTERPRETATION AND PROCEDURES, AMENDING AND CLARIFYING THE DOWNTOWN CORE DESIGN GUIDELINES; AMENDING THE GOVERNMENTAL SIGN REGULATIONS; AMENDING THE AREAS AFFECTED BY THE GUIDELINES; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Open the public hearing.
Close the public hearing after public comment.
Action Request: Motion to adopt Ordinance 2013-05 as recommended by staff. -- Amendment: A copy must go to the CRA director. -- Approved, 4 to 1 -- Varnadore dissent.
Commissioner Varnadore objects to the government being allowed to have electric sign, but denying the public to do so.
Commissioner Williams appreciates to the changes and guidelines that have been met, but still see many inconsistencies.
5. 2nd. PUBLIC HEARING ORDINANCE 2013-02 MOBILE FOOD VENDORS AND TEMPORARY USES
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COMMISSION FOR THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, AMENDING CODE OF ORDINANCES, ZONING CODE, TO PROVIDE FOR A DEFINITION OF MOBILE VENDORS; REVISING THE CURRENT TEMPORARY USE PERMIT CRITERIA AND ADDING CRITERIA FOR USE AND OPERATION OF MOBILE VENDORS, INCLUDING PUSH CARTS AND TEMPORARY VENDORS; PROVIDING FOR REPEAL OF ORDINANCES IN CONFLICT; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Open the public hearing.
Action Request: Motion to continue the second public hearing on Ordinance 2013-02 to May 20, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. or as soon thereafter as same can be heard in these chambers. -- Approved, Unanimous
6. MARCH 2013 CHECK REGISTER (Informational Only)
Recess the City Commission meeting to open the April 15, 2013 CRA Board meeting.
Open the CRA Board meeting.
1. CRA BOARD AGENDA APPROVAL
Action Request: Motion to approve the April 15, 2013 CRA Board Agenda. -- Approved, Unanimous
2. CRA CONSENT AGENDA
A. Minutes: April 1, 2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
B. Growers Hardware Store Front Grant #13-09
Action Request: Motion to approve the April 15, 2013 CRA Consent Agenda -- Approved, Unanimous (Both A & B)
3. MANATEE R.V. STORE FRONT GRANT (J. Burton) -- No vote needed
4. DOWNTOWN COMMERCIAL CORE REDEVELOPMENT INCENTIVES 2.0 (J. Burton)
This item is discussion only.
Each business has to be a State Qualified Business (SQB), and have already applied for a brownfield (show how they will make money). The state will supply 80 percent of the 80/20 matching funds. It would start with the CRA and then go to the City Commission. Budget for these two projects -- $25,691.80, Duncan Donuts and Palmetto Animal Clinic. Next year, the budget will be $292,000 then drops to $260,000 following year.
5. CRA DIRECTOR’S COMMENTS -- In house clean-ups -- we are organizing. There is a Mt. Dora workshop coming up. Boat ramp will be the best in the county.
6. PRESIDING OFFICER’S COMMENTS -- Varnadore: We need a bathroom (in the park) before a roof. Burton: Budget is in for it.
7. CRA BOARD MEMBERS’ COMMENTS -- Williams: When is the new sign on Riverside coming in? Burton: Tomorrow.
8. PUBLIC COMMENTS FOR THE CRA BOARD -- None
Reconvene the April 15, 2013 City Commission meeting.
Reconvene the City Commission meeting.
7. BASEBALL FIELD UPDATE -- Tusing: Progressing with utility portion of it.
8. ASR WELL UPDATE -- Tusing: Inspection of well was today, and the well has water. We did go to SWFWMD... and remain high in the ranking.
9. DEPARTMENT HEADS’ COMMENTS --
Public Works, Tusing -- none at this time.
Chief Wells -- No report
Clerk Jim Freeman -- We are doing landscaping in front City Hall and are putting in lights and sign. Do you want to see the CRA 2.0 back again. -- (No support to bring it back).
City Att. Barnebey -- We need to deal with liens, they are getting redundant. Mayor says she wants to move forward and get closure on them.
10. MAYOR’S REPORT -- I sent an email to look at county commission on the 26th. I asked the clerk to ask county for a copy. I want to see if they can change the size of scope of the Project Development and Environmental Study. I want further discussion on this. At the next meeting I will be making a housing authority appointment.
11. COMMISSIONERS’ COMMENTS --
Williams -- On semis, can we get some notes and enforcement on damage going through and tearing up the place. (going in restricted areas) Chief Wells answered: Yes we can.
Varnadore --Traffic clogged on 4th street. What is the status. Answer: Tusing--There will have to restricted parking there. Very problematic.
Cornwell -- no comment
Davis -- I want to thank Mike Alderman (new supervisor) and Javier Vargus for what they did on our project.
Smith -- Nothing at this time Mayor.