SARASOTA – At Monday's MPO meeting, board members approved a set of amendments to the MPO's Transportation Improvement Program; the board also voted 10-5 to give the public access to an upcoming meeting, during which negotiations for extending the employment of Board Executive Director Michael Howe will be discussed. In other business, the board heard a presentation by FDOT on plans for creating "pedestrian refuges" in several traffic-heavy areas along Bee Ridge Road.
Call to Order
INVOCATION Councilman Jim Bennett
City of Venice
Pledge of Allegiance
Confirmation of Quorum
I. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
(Items not on the agenda)
II. CAC/TAC/BPTAC CHAIR'S REPORT
1. The Chair of the Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC), Stanley Hochman, and the Chairs of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), Alex Davis Shaw, and Bicycle/Pedestrian/Trails Advisory Committee (BPTAC), Claude Tankersley, will update the MPO on those committees’ activities and provide the MPO Board an opportunity to direct questions.
III. FDOT REPORT
1. FDOT will provide the MPO with an update on activities and issues and provide the MPO Board members
an opportunity to direct questions.
IV. MPO EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT
1. The MPO Executive Director, Michael Howe, will update the Board Members on activities and issues.
Click on highlighted items
for additional information
V. CHAIR’S REPORT
1. The MPO Chair, Manatee County Commissioner Larry Bustle, will update the Board Members on
activities and issues.
VI. CONSENT SECTION All matters listed under the Consent Section are considered to be routine and will be
enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If discussion is desired by an
MPO Board member, that item will be removed from the Consent Section and will be considered at the end of
1. Approval of Meeting Minutes (Passed unanimously)
Staff will seek a motion to approve the March 24, 2014 Meeting Minutes of the Sarasota/Manatee MPO Board meeting.
2. Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) (Passed unanimously)
Staff will seek a motion to approve the MPO’s UPWP for Fiscal Year 2014/2015-2015/2016.
3. Appointments and Reappointments to the Sarasota/Manatee MPO Bicycle, Pedestrian and Trails
Advisory Committee (BPTAC)
Staff will seek a motion to approve the appointments and reappointments to the BPTAC. (Passed unanimously)
4. CAC Membership
Staff will seek a motion to remove a member who was appointed but has not attended any meetings. (Passed unanimously)
VII. ADVERTISED PUBLIC HEARING
Please note that the following public hearing items were scheduled for 10:00 a.m. or reasonably thereafter and have been advertised accordingly.
1. Amendment to the FY 2013/2014 – 2017/2018 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) (Passed unanimously)
FDOT has requested approval of several TIP amendments.
Note: This item requires a vote by the show of hands.
VIII. BOARD ACTION
1. Federal Certification Close Out Report
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) will present an overview of the Federal MPO Certification review of the metropolitan transportation planning process along with a summary of the report.
2. Update Program Policies (“Rules”) – Major Priority Improvements /Congestion Management System
(CMS)/Transportation Alternatives US 41 Multimodal Emphasis Corridor (MMEC)
Review and comments on minor updates to the MPO Program Policies.
3. Employment Agreement Executive Director
Appointment of MPO Committee to discuss new agreement for MPO Executive Director. (Motion to convene for a public meeting, as opposed to a private meeting, passed 10-5, with board members Williams, Larry Bustle, John Chappie, Phill Younger and Bill Shearon voting "Nay" - story to follow)
IX. REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS (May Require Board Action)
1. Pedestrian Refuge Island SR 758/Bee Ridge Road from US 41 to Dunn Road
A presentation by FDOT on pedestrian safety improvements on SR 758/Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota.
X. COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA)
XI. MEMBER COMMENTS
XII. NEXT MEETING DATE
No meeting in May; the next meeting will be held June 23, 2014, at the Holiday Inn, 8009 15th Street East,
Sarasota, Florida 34240.
No comments on this item
Only paid subscribers can comment
Please log in to comment by clicking here.