BRADENTON -- At Monday's Metropolitan Planning Organization meeting, members discussed the number one FDOT project in Manatee County: the 15th Street Project, Design and Environmental study for the Tallevast Road to State Road 70. The total cost for the project is projected at $8.2 million. In other business, the Transportation Improvement Program will have FDOT present an amendment that requests a "roll forward" funding adjustment as well as an MCAT funding adjustment. Also, Jim Van Pelt took home the Sheila Winitzer Shinning Star Award.
Call to Order INVOCATION
Pledge of Allegiance Confirmation of Quorum
I. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
(Items not on the agenda)
II. CAC/TAC CHAIR'S REPORT
Councilman Jim Bennett City of Venice
1. The Chairs of the Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC), Ken Maturo, and Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), Sage Kamiya, will update the MPO on those committees’ activities and provide the MPO Board an opportunity to direct questions.
III. FDOT REPORT
1. FDOT will provide the MPO with an update on activities and issues and provide the MPO Board members an opportunity to direct questions. -- Amy Perez said that on September18, the Federal Highway Administration and MPO had a joint meeting that focused attention on the U.S 41/301 PD&E study being replaced with a feasibility study. She said focus has to include the impacts of what is on both sides of the bridge.
IV. MPO EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT
1. The MPO Executive Director, Michael Howe, will update the Board Members on activities and issues. -- Howe wanted to bring attention to the work of Public Transportation Planner, Jim Van Pelt, and the Transportation Disadvantage program he's been championing. Van Pelt was awarded the Sheila Winitzer Shinning Star Award.
V. CHAIR’S REPORT
1. The MPO Chair, Commissioner Nora Patterson will update the Board Members on activities and issues. -- Patterson said there is an upcoming meeting with Manatee County officials about the merger of the two transit systems. On the east coast there was a meeting with the Florida Association of Counties about the Governor and the legislature's effort to cut $500 million from the budget, lowering taxes collected from local governments. Patterson said Representative Greg Steube is a sponsor of this and asked "What does this mean?" adding "What does it mean when they say, keep local governments whole."
VI. CONSENT SECTION All matters listed under the Consent Section are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If discussion is desired by an MPO Board member, that item will be removed from the Consent Section and will be considered at the end of the section.
1. Approval of Meeting Minutes
Staff will seek a motion to approve the July 22, 2013 Meeting Minutes of the Sarasota/Manatee MPO Board meeting. -- Approved, Unanimous
2. Appointment to the Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC)
MPO ratification of appointment to the CAC of a Member from the City of Palmetto. -- Approved, Unanimous
VII. ADVERTISED PUBLIC HEARING
Please note that the following public hearing items were scheduled for 10:00 a.m. or reasonably thereafter and have been advertised accordingly.
1. Amendments to the FY 2013/2014 – 2017/2018 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
FDOT will present TIP Amendment requests for: “Roll Forward” funding adjustments and MCAT funding adjustments.
Note: This item requires a vote by the show of hands. -- Approved, Unanimous
VIII. BOARD ACTION
1. 2014 MPO Legislative Policy and Issues Committee
Annual appointment by Chair Commissioner Nora Patterson of MPO Board Members to serve on the Legislative Committee to develop the MPO’s policies and issues for the 2014 Florida Legislative Session and the 2014 Federal Transportation Bill by the United States Congress.
Mayor, Linda Yates and Councilman Jim Bennett -- Approved, Unanimous
2. Functional Classifications
The FDOT consultant will present the adjusted Functional Classification of Roadways based on the new 2010 Urbanized Boundary. Commissioner Bustle motioned to ask FDOT to consider making 17th St. in Palmetto a minor collector road. Mayor Bryant seconded the motion -- Approved, Unanimous
IX. REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS (May Require Board Action)
1. 15th Street Project Design and Environment (PD&E) Study from Tallevast Road to SR 70 Presentation from FDOT consultant, Mr. Bill Howell, P.E., H.W. Lochner, Inc. -- Howell said this is the number one project in Manatee County and that it is large -- a "complete streets approach" in the class of the Venice Bypass. Manatee Commissioner Bustle motioned to to present a request to the FDOT to extend the project to 44th Ave. -- Approved, Unanimous
X. COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA) 2. Bicycle/Pedestrian/Trails Advisory Committee (BPTAC) Report
Ms. Paula Wiggins, Chair, will provide a report on the activities of the BPTAC.
XI. MEMBER COMMENTS -- Patterson said we need to start now to prepare for the 2017 World Rowing Games so we don't have any construction going on at I75 and University Parkway when the games start.
XII. NEXT MEETING DATE
The next meeting will be held October 28, 2013 at the Gold Coast Beverage Distributors, 7501 Wireless Court, Sarasota, Florida 34240.
No comments on this item
Only paid subscribers can comment
Please log in to comment by clicking here.