PALMETTO -- Members voted unanimously to elect Sarasota Commissioner Nora Patterson Chairwoman of the MPO for 2013 at Monday's meeting. The board also voted to replace the PD&E study for the Desoto Bridge across the Manatee River between Bradenton and The City of Palmetto with a less expansive feasibility study, effectively downgrading the project's status. In other business, members voted to approve the Legislative Priorities and Positions for 2013.
SARASOTA/MANATEE METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION
BRADENTON AREA CONVENTION CENTER
LONGBOAT KEY ROOM
One Haben Boulevard
AGENDA FOR DECEMBER 17, 2012
THE MPO BOARD WILL ACCEPT PUBLIC COMMENT ON ALL ITEMS ON THIS AGENDA
Public input will be limited to three minutes per person per agenda item. Anyone wishing to speak on a specific agenda item or under the Open to the Public Section is requested to fill out a “Public Comment” card and provide it to MPO staff.
Call to Order
Commissioner Larry Bustle
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Confirmation of Quorum
I. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
(Items not on the agenda)
II. CAC/TAC CHAIR'S REPORT
1. The Chairs of the Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC), Dale Stephenson, and Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), Kathleen Weeden, will update the MPO on those committees’ activities andprovide the MPO Board an opportunity to direct questions.
III. FDOT REPORT
1. FDOT will provide the MPO with an update on activities and issues and provide the MPO Board members an opportunity todirect questions.
MPO EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT
1. The MPO Executive Director, Michael Howe, will update the Board Members on activities and issues. -- Adopt calendar -- Approved, Unanimous
1. The MPO Chair, Mayor Shirley Groover Bryant, will update the Board Members on activities and issues.
VI.ELECTION OF 2013 OFFICERS
1. Election of Chair from Sarasota County, Inclusive of Municipalities within Sarasota County
2. Election of Vice Chair from Manatee County, Inclusive of Municipalities within Manatee County -- Sarasota County Commissioner Nora Patterson was elected chairwoman of the MPO --Approved, Unanimous -- (other officers will be voted in after the first of the year).
VII.CONSENT SECTION All matters listed under the Consent Section are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items. If discussion is desired by an MPO Board member, that item will be removed from the Consent Section and will be considered at the end of the section.
1. Approval of Meeting Minutes
Motion to approve the October 22, 2012 Meeting Minutes. -- Approved Unanimous
2. Amendment to the Sarasota/Manatee MPO Bylaws
Revision to provide for non-voting advisors.
3. Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC) Appointments
Staff will seek a motion to ratify a reappointment/appointment to the CAC.
VIII. ADVERTISED PUBLIC HEARING
Please note that the following public hearing item is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. or reasonably thereafter and has been advertised accordingly.
1. Amendment to the FY 2012/2013 – 2016/2017 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
FDOT will present for Board approval an amendment of the MPO’s current adopted TIP for Fiscal Years (FY) 2012/2013 – 2016/2017.-- Approved Unanimous
1. FDOT Draft Tentative Five Year Work Program
FDOT will present the Draft Tentative Five Year Work Program for Fiscal Years (FY) 2013/2014 – FY 2017/2018 for MPO Board comments and endorsement. -- MPO Chair was presented with a letter from Manatee County Commissioners requesting the PD&E study for a replacement 301 Bridge be replaced with a Feasible Study. -- Approved 11 to 3 (vote record was not immediately available) (full story)
2. Smoothing the Urbanized Area Boundary -- Maps in the presentation didn't match maps in members packets. Motion to continue until January meeting -- Approved, Unanimous
FDOT Consultant, FTE, will present for Board approval the Federally required Smoothed Urbanized Area Boundary Map based on the 2010 Census.
3. Top 10 Regional Priorities
MPO Staff will present for Board approval the Top 10 Regional Priorities as recommended by the West Central Florida MPOs Chairs Coordinating Committee (CCC) and Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA).-- Motion to include Port Manatee connector -- Amended to not use funds from #6 on list. -- Approved 10 - 4 with tremendous confusion over the what was and wasn't stated and/or specified in the list (vote record was not immediately available).
4. Sarasota/Manatee MPO’s 2013 Legislative Priorities and Positions
Review recommendations of MPO Committee and adopt Legislative Priorities and Positions. -- Approved, Unanimous
X. REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS (May Require Board Action)
1. Sarasota/Manatee MPO’s Bicycle/Pedestrian/Trails Advisory Committee (BPTAC) An update on BPTAC activities will be presented to the board.
2. Transit Studies: Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) and Manatee County Area Transit (MCAT) Review and Approval of Transit Planning Activities for Manatee and Sarasota Transit Systems -- Presentation by Robert DiSabatino and Jacobs Consultants
XI. COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA)
XII. NEXT MEETING DATE
A joint meeting with the Charlotte County-Punta Gorda MPO on January 28, 2013, 9:30 a.m. at the Morgan Family Center, 6207 West Price Boulevard, North Port, Florida 34291