BRADENTON -- At Monday's meeting, Commissioners approved a request to extend the Sanctuary Cove Bond for one year. On February 24, at McKechnie Field, the Pittsburgh Pirates will present a $75,000 check to build the Little League fields at Blackstone Park in Palmetto. Also, Christina Behr, Kim Bailey and Karin Meier, representing The American Cancer Society's Relay For Life, gave a presentation on ways people could help fight cancer.
1. CITY COMMISSION AGENDA APPROVAL
Action Request: Motion to approve the February 18, 2013 Agenda. -- Approved, Unanimous
2. CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
A. City Clerk’s Office
1. Minutes: January 28, 2013 and February 4, 2013
2. Special Function Permits: Florida Friendly Family Festival 3/2/2013 - Providing insurance is required -- Approved, Unanimous
March for Rights, Respect, and Fair Food 3/11/2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
Slick’s Garage First Fridays 3/1/2013 and 4/5/2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
Palmetto B&B Wedding 4/28/2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
Gulf Coast Rhythm and Rib Fest Rib Run 5K 4/12/2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
North Manatee 5K Challenge 10/5/2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
Palmetto Historical Park: Heritage Day Reception 3/8/2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
Heritage Day 3/9/2013
Family Fun Day 3/29/2013
Fishing Themed Summer Social 7/20/2013
Annual Yard Sale 10/5/2013
Halloween Social 10/19/2013
Christmas in the Park 12/6-12/7/2013
3. Resolution 2013-07 Budget Amendment -- Approved, Unanimous
4. Disposition of Surplus Property -- Approved, Unanimous
5. Family Resources Safe Place Site Agreement
6. Blalock Walters Legal Billings
Action Request: Motion to approve the February 18, 2013 Consent Agenda. -- Items #2-A1, #5, and #6 -- Approved, Unanimous
3. SANCTUARY COVE REQUEST FOR ONE YEAR BOND EXTENSION (A.Tusing/M. Barnebey)
Application of Subdivision Code Amendments (CH. 26-27&28) to extend the performance security bond one additional year and the defect security bond for one remaining year.
Action request: Motion to approve the aforementioned documents as recommended by staff to grant a one year extension of the performance bond and a final year for the defect security bond for Sanctuary Cove. -- Approved, Unanimous
4. VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA (VOA) AGREEMENT FOR SEWER AND WATER SYSTEM
CONNECTION (A. Tusing/M. Barnebey)
On July 2, 2012 Commission approved an agreement with VOA for connection to the City sewer system. Since approval, a modification was made to the agreement and needs to be reapproved by Commission.
Action Request: Motion to approve the agreement with Volunteers of America, of Florida, Inc., for connection to the City’s sanitary sewer system and authorize the Mayor to execute the agreement. -- Volunteer of America must maintain lift station -- Approved, Unanimous
5. RESOLUTION 2013-09 AGREEMENT WITH CSX RAILROAD (A. Tusing)
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, CONSENTING TO AND APPROVING THE FACILITY ENCROACHMENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN CSX TRANSPORTATION, INC., AND THE CITY OF PALMETTO, AUTHORIZING THE MAYOR TO EXECUTE SAID AGREEMENT, AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Action Request: Motion to approve Resolution 2013-09 that authorizes the Mayor to execute the CSX Encroachment Agreement. -- Approved Unanimous
6. 1st READ ORDINANCE 2013-03 (L. Lyn)
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF PALMETTO, FLORIDA, AMENDING THE PALMETTO CODE OF ORDINANCES, ZONING CODE, TO AMEND THE DEFINITION OF RECREATION AND AMUSEMENT SERVICES AND THE SCHEDULE OF PERMITTED AND CONDITIONAL USES; PROVIDING FOR REPEAL OF ORDINANCES IN CONFLICT; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Action Request: Motion to schedule Ordinance 2013-03 for a public hearing on March 4, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. or as soon thereafter as same can be heard in these chambers and direct staff to advertise for same. -- Approved, Unanimous
7. JANUARY CHECK REGISTER (Informational Only) --
Recess the City Commission meeting to open the February 18, 2013 CRA Board meeting.
1. CRA BOARD AGENDA APPROVAL
Action Request: Motion to approve the February 18, 2013 CRA Board Agenda. -- Approved, Unanimous
2. CRA CONSENT AGENDA
A. Minutes: February 4, 2013 -- Approved, Unanimous
B. Blalock Walters Legal Bills -- Approved, Unanimous
C. Grower’s Hardware Store Front Grant -- Approved, Unanimous
D. Extension to Riviera Dunes Marina Store Front Grant #13-01-- Approved, Unanimous
Action Request: Motion to approve the February 18, 2013 CRA Consent Agenda -- Approved, Unanimous
3. CRA DIRECTOR’S COMMENTS -- None
4. PRESIDING OFFICER’S COMMENTS -- None
5. CRA BOARD MEMBERS’ COMMENTS -- Commissioner Cornwell, "Whose call is it on the Historic Museum landscape material removal? CRA Dir. Jeff Burton answered, "The City is" (for clarification - CRA is not responsible for removing original landscaping). Palmetto Historical Society representative Cis Paulson said they would be glad to take care of it.
6. PUBLIC COMMENTS FOR THE CRA BOARD -- None
Reconvene the City Commission meeting.
8. BASEBALL FIELD UPDATE -- Manatee County has signed the contract. Sunday at McKechnie field, the Pirates are to present a $75, 000 donation for the construction of the ballfield at Blackstone Park.
9. ASR WELL UPDATE -- Passed out a progress report
10. DEPARTMENT HEADS’ COMMENTS
-- (Clerk) Jim Freeman,
-- (Public Works) -- Allen Tusing
-- (Palmetto Police) -- Captain Tyler
-- (City Attorney) -- Barnebey: "We are working on the downtown drawings. We need to review the documents and if planning has alternative recommendations, we need to review them."
11. MAYOR’S REPORT -- Mayor Bryant asked Commissioner Smith if could give an update as to when the City Key will be given to incoming USF coach Willie Taggart.
12. COMMISSIONERS’ COMMENTS
Commissioner Smith -- Said that he talked to the city attorney and was concerned about the mayor's position. Mayors across the state have retirement packages and better pay than the Palmetto Mayor does. "We need to talk about this and do something."
Commissioner Williams -- As far as the Palmetto development guidelines go, these are guidelines. We need to change the word and not use guidelines. Attorney Barnebey agreed.
Commissioner Varnadore -- Reminded the commission that the budget was coming soon. She also agreed with Commissioner Smith, "We have assistants making more than our mayor does."
No comments on this item
Only paid subscribers can comment
Please log in to comment by clicking here.